tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 16:33:25 2003

Re: I too need help with Vocabulary

Klingon Emperor wrote:

>I think I have a pretty good understanding of the difference between these
>three words, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.  Explain, as
>clearly as possible, what the difference is in these three words so I know
>how and when to use them in a sentence:
>
>Qap - work, function, operate

This is what machines do:

   Qapqu' wovmoHbogh janHommey
   It even has working lights! (Hallmark)

   QaptaHvIS So'wI' QaplaHbe' nuHmey
   weapons cannot be discharged while the cloak is in operation. (S33)

   jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
   High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years (KBoP)

Note:  {Qap} also means "succeed" and "win".

>vum - work, toil

   This is what people do, i.e. to labor:

   yIvumqa'!
   Back to work! (CK)

>baj - earn, work for (actively)

This one's a little trickier.  My feeling is that this is for working
for/toward some goal -- one's daily wage, victory, etc.:

   yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
   Survival must be earned. (TKW)

   yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'
   Victory must be earned. (TKW)

   Though any perceived attack on one's honor may prompt one to issue a
   challenge, in one traditional form of duel, the goal is specifically
   for a man to "win the favor of a women" ({vuv be' 'e' baj} [literally,
   "earn that a woman respect him"]) by competing with another man. (KGT 69)

Note: this verb takes an object.

>I would also like to know how you would say the following:
>"I have to work now" or "I have to go to work now"

   DaH jIvumnIS.

>"It's working"

   Qap ('oH).

More examples:

   Qapchu' So'wI'.
   The cloaking device is working (functioning) perfectly.

   QapHa'qa' De'wI'wIj jay'!
   My ^%&$ computer is malfunctioning again!

>"He's been working all day"

   jaj Hoch qaStaHvIS vum(taH).

   jaj naQ qaStaHvIS vum(taH).

>When trying to translate these things, I find it difficult to figure out
>which vocab word to use.  If you think about it long enough, you can
>understand my dilemma, come to some sort of understanding of the
>difference between the three, and numb the heck out of your head.  Thanks!

A good way to keep them straight is to memorize a bit of canon using each
word.  If none exists, then make up a simple, unambiguous sentence.  I find
that the sillier the sentence is, the more likely you are to remember it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level