tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 15:32:15 2003

I too need help with Vocabulary

I think I have a pretty good understanding of the difference between these three words, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.  Explain, as clearly as possible, what the difference is in these three words so I know how and when to use them in a sentence:

Qap - work, function, operate
vum - work, toil
baj - earn, work for (actively)

I would also like to know how you would say the following:
"I have to work now" or "I have to go to work now"
"It's working"
"He's been working all day"

When trying to translate these things, I find it difficult to figure out which vocab word to use.  If you think about it long enough, you can understand my dilemma, come to some sort of understanding of the difference between the three, and numb the heck out of your head.  Thanks!

From: Viktor Horak

>Sorry to borther you again, but I would like to know the definitions of several words. If possible, please help me. In second part of TKD I found:

>naQ - cain, staff (n). What is cain? I did not find "cain" in my English
dictionary.

My guess is that it is a misspelling of cane.

>nenghep - Age of Ascension (n). What is it?

The age at which a Klingon is first recognized as an adult and a warrior.

>nentay - Rite of Ascension (n). What is it?

A ritual of passage involving the use of painsticks - shown in TNG Episode - The Icaras Factor

It is first performed when a young Klingon declares that he wishes to follow the warriors path, again when they are fully recognized as an adult. It is also performed on the 10th anniversary of a Klingon's passage to adulthood.

>peHghep - Age of Inclusion (n). What is it?

Never fully explained in the series, my guess would mark it as the age when a Klingon is no longer seen as an infant

>pIpyuS - pipius (n). What is it?

Another creature used for food. Based on the popularity of Pipius Claw I would equate it to lobster or crab.

>ro'qegh'Iwchab - rokeg blood pie (n). What is it?

Another food item

>ruStay - bonding ritual (n). What is it?

Almost like making someone your blood brother - only a little more binding, You make them a member of your family. Seen in TNG episode The Bonding.

>targh - targ (n). What is it?

A Klingon animal used for food and occasionally as a pet.

My Two Strips of Latinum Worth

Carol (Lady K'Lyssia) Hightshoe
Don't Write What You Know; Write What You Care About--Passionately!
Available Publications - http://www.klyssia.com/MarketPlace1.html
A Study of Klingon Genetics (Where Did Those Ridges Come From?)
Captain's Log, Stardate ...
Midnight Song (Romantic Fantasy Short Story)

Glory to you, and to your House.
taHjaj wo'
Qapla'