tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 09:50:09 2003

Re: -chuq

naHQun wrote:

>I'm having a problem with the suffix <-chuq> "one another"
>As I under stand it, it the verb you attach it to requires a prefix
>that indicates a plural subject, and no object.
>
>This is where I gain the problem;  I'm trying to write in the third person,
>So I'm refering to 2 people as "they".  And "they"-no one isn't represented
>by prefix.  Can I still use <-chuq>?
>
>i.e.  They hate one another
>       muSchuq

Sure you can.  If you find the lack of a prefix confusing - particularly if
there's no other context - then add the pronoun {chaH} "they" for emphasis:

      muSchuq chaH
      They hate one another. They hate one another.

Strictly speaking, this is redundant since {-chuq} can ONLY be used with a
plural subject, and so can't be read as "he/she/it hates each other" if the
reader is paying attention.  Okrand discusses it in TKD (p.36):

   This suffix is used only with plural subjects. It is translated "each
   other" or "one another". The prefix set indicating "no object" is also
   used when this suffix is used:
     maqIpchuq    we hit each other
     SuqIpchuq    you (plural) hit each other
     qIpchuq      they hit each other
     peqIpchuq    hit each other!

Note his third example:  {qIpchuq} "they hit each other".  Other examples are:

   pujchuqmoH
   they weaken each other..." (st.klingon 11/97)

   If one wanted to say that two persons collide but not imply that they butt
   heads, the verb {ngeQ} would probably be used along with the suffix {-chuq}
   ("each other") as in {ngeQchuq tera'nganpu'} ("The Terrans collide with each
   other").  (KGT 158)

   ghobchuq loDnI'pu'
   "The Brothers Battle One Another" (i.e. the Kahless and Morath
statuette) KCD

   Hay'chuq
   They duel one another. KGT

   Hay'chuqchu'
   They duel one another to the death. KGT

>I understand how to use <-'egh> because I use (jI-)
>
>i.e. I hate myself
>      jImuS'egh

Correct.  In light of the above, {muS'egh} could ONLY be translated as the
3rd person singular: "he hates himself, she hates herself, it hates itself."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level