tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 12:01:37 2003

Re: -chuq

> naHQun wrote:
>
> >I'm having a problem with the suffix <-chuq> "one another"
> >As I under stand it, it the verb you attach it to requires a prefix
> >that indicates a plural subject, and no object.

I think the point of confusion here might be the "requires a prefix"
part.  In the third person verb forms, the lack of prefix counts *as*
a prefix for purposes of this requirement - and for most other purposes.
The verb is, in some sense, considered to have a prefix - it's just
a silent one.  So there's no conflict using such a verb with suffixes
that require some specific type of prefix.

-marqoS

Back to archive top level