tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 10:24:40 2003

Re: -chuq

Steven Boozer wrote:

> naHQun wrote:
>
>> I understand how to use <-'egh> because I use (jI-)
>>
>> i.e. I hate myself
>>      jImuS'egh
>

> Correct.  In light of the above, {muS'egh} could ONLY be translated as
> the 3rd person singular: "he hates himself, she hates herself, it
> hates itself."

Not so.  It could still be plural "They hate themselves" (either each
hates himself individually, or they collectively hate their collective
self).  -chuq has to be plural, but this does not mean that -'egh has to
be singular.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but don't we even have a canon
example of "peqIp'egh" for "hit yourselves!"?

~mark

Back to archive top level