tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 13:58:37 2003

Re: [KLBC] De'wI'wIj

Voragh:
> > As for the idea of "for five minutes *at a time*", I'm not sure which of
> > these would be better, if either:
> >
> >    vagh tup qaStaHvIS pIj yev De'wI'wIj.
> >    For five minutes, my computer often "hangs".
> >
> >    pIj vagh tup qaStaHvIS yev De'wI'wIj.
> >    My computer often "hangs" for five minutes.

...Paul:
>{ qaStaHvIS vagh tup } -- the minutes are occurring, they're not the
>object of the occurrence.  :)

va!  DopDaq qul yIchenmoH qobDI' ghu! (That's the last time I trust my
Klingon without proofreading EVERY word twice!)

Those two suggested versions should, of course, read:

   qaStaHvIS vagh tup pIj yev De'wI'wIj.
   For five minutes, my computer often "hangs".

   pIj qaStaHvIS vagh tup yev De'wI'wIj.
   My computer often "hangs" for five minutes.

> > I.e. Does shifting the position of {pIj} make the difference?  I prefer the
> > second, since the first version may also mean mean that my computer often
> > "froze up" during one five minute period.
>
>A question I would love to know the answer to.  There are a lot of times
>I'd like to use an adverb to describe only a subclause...  And times when
>I want to use one to describe only the root. I never know where to put 'em.

Here are some examples of adverbials and adverbial-type phrases used with
dependent {-taHvIS} clauses to study:

   DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'.
   We've just received an encoded message on the Federation frequency.
(MO's ST5 notes)

The adverbial {DaH} is in the main (second) clause.

   DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS.
   Attack them now, while we still can! ST6

Ditto.

   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'.
   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

Adverbial phrases of location ("place stamps") in both clauses.

   batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
   One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably.  TKW

Adverbial {batlhHa'} in dependent (first) clause.

   Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq bey SeQ
lujach.
   other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of the
Klingon death ritual. S31

Adverbial {chaq} in main (second) clause of the second sentence.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level