tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 11:45:05 2003

Re: [KLBC] De'wI'wIj

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Quvar valer wrote:
> "...Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> There is only *one* KLBC expert, that's the Beginners' Grammarian.
> THAT'S ME!  <<<<zzzzzzzaaapp!>>>> *theregoesthepainstick*
> I'll forgive you 'this' time...  }};-)

Last time I ever try to help out.  ;)

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, James Copeman wrote:
> > veQDuj 'oH De'wI'wIj'e'.
> > pIj vagh tupmey Hegh Qu'Homqoq QaplawtaHvIS ('e').  vImuSbej!
>
> "...Paul" translates:
> >"MY computer is a garbage scow."
> Attention! The n#5 {-'e'} is used here not for emphasis, it needs to be
> there because it is a "ToBe" construction

Doh.  Of course, now I can't remember if I knew that, if I just stayed on
the shift key one charater too long.  :P

> >Notes: You missed the ' in the { -law' } suffix (should be {Qaplaw'taHvIS}
> >Also, you don't need { -mey } in the phrase { vagh tupmey }.  The fact
> >that you're supply a number, { vagh } implicitly means the noun is plural.
> >Klingon doesn't (usually) require specific notation of plurality if it's
> >obvious from context.
> That's correct.

Yay!

> Yes, but then you don't need the period between to sentences:
>    {...QaptaHvIS 'e' vImuS}

I totally did not notice the period he put there...  I think the
parenthesis distracted me.  :)

At least I wasn't totally wrong, like some people have intimated.  ;)

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
                         "Magick happens."

Back to archive top level