tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 11:50:31 2003

Re: [KLBC] De'wI'wIj

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:
> As for the idea of "for five minutes *at a time*", I'm not sure which of
> these would be better, if either:
>
>    vagh tup qaStaHvIS pIj yev De'wI'wIj.
>    For five minutes, my computer often "hangs".
>
>    pIj vagh tup qaStaHvIS yev De'wI'wIj.
>    My computer often "hangs" for five minutes.

{ qaStaHvIS vagh tup } -- the minutes are occurring, they're not the
object of the occurrence.  :)

> I.e. Does shifting the position of {pIj} make the difference?  I prefer the
> second, since the first version may also mean mean that my computer often
> "froze up" during one five minute period.

A question I would love to know the answer to.  There are a lot of times
I'd like to use an adverb to describe only a subclause...  And times when
I want to use one to describe only the root.  I never know where to put
'em.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "No matter where you go, there you are."

Back to archive top level