tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 13:33:31 2003

Re: KLBC love

> > Instead of saying "I love my wife," he might say /munongmoH be'nalwI'/
> > "My wife makes me passionate."
>
> A question,
> Cannot "I love my wife" be expressed as /bangwI' chaH be'nalwI''e'/? By this
> point I should ask for a full explanation of the meaning of /bang/ since
> Klingon seems so different to English that /bang/ may mean a subset of the
> whole meaning of "love". May /bang/ be used for any kind of love that we
> know about (for the wife, for the parents, for the children, for the
> neighbours, etc)?

Here's what I found using [bang].

KGT p78
The bang bom, or love song (though a more literal, and perhaps
telling, translation is "beloved's song") plays an impor-
tant role in Klingon courting behavior, though exactly
how it fits in depends on the particular tradition being
followed, and this depends, for the most part, on the re-
gion in which one or the other of the participants in the
courtship ritual grew up.

KGT p199
Instead, couples (of-
ficially married and otherwise) tend to call each other by
pet names (sometimes called endearments or hypoco-
risms or, in Klingon, bang pongmey ["beloveds'
names"]). A bang pong (the singular form, "beloved's
name") is usually couple-specific--that is, the set of ex-
pressions used by one couple is different from that used
by another couple.
(this continues on for a while)

Valkris replying to Kruge: Qapla' jawwI' bangwI' je

TKW p159
reH bang larghlu'.
Love is always smelled.
("A loved one is always smelled.")

Give us a kiss, love.		HIchop, bang.	(Bite me, love.)

<<<

All of these (except maybe the last one) imply that bang is for your spouse.

DloraH

Back to archive top level