tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 11:00:36 2002

re: nuH

>i would like to know if /nuH/ in this sentence means "weapon" or
>"weapons".
>
>DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq
>'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS.

As it happens, the word {nuHmey} is actually listed in TKD as a separate
entry, glossed as "arsenal".

This would suggest that {nuH} is probably the best way to refer to both a
weapon (singular) and weapons (plural). Perhaps {nuHmey} can be applied both
to "weapons" and "arsenal", but if it can't I would be using a reaaaaaaally
big scoop if I said

	cha' nuHmey vIghaj
	[I have two arsenals]

if all I had was just a phaser and a dagger.

Because of the plural suffix {-mey}, {nuHmey} "arsenal" probably has to be
treated as a plural noun, which makes me wonder how to express the following
ideas:

The Romulans destroyed our arsenal:
nuHmeywIj ?luQaw'/?Qaw' romuluSnganpu'.

The colony had three arsenals and four warships.
The invaders destroyed one arsenal and two warships.

wej nuHmey los veSDuj(mey) je ghajpu' mID.
?wa' nuHmey, cha' veSDuj(mey) je Qaw' yotwI'pu'.

'ISqu'