tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 11:59:59 2002

re: nuH

I don't see it as nearly so complex. Here's my take:

English has a separate word "arsenal" to describe a group of weapons held
in readiness at one location.  Klingon doesn't.  So when the weapons pile
grows or becomes organized to the point where the English speaker stops
talking of "weapons" and starts saying "arsenal", the Klingon speaker is
still saying nuHmey.  If the Klingon wants to speak of four different
groups of weapons, at different physical locations, he could say loS nuHmey
Daqmey or nuHmey wa' , nuHmey cha' , nuHmey loS je.

I don't believe we can justify thinking of nuHmey as a singular word, just
because English "arsenal" is a singular word for a group of weapons.