tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 09:52:56 2002

Re: nuH

Am 11.09.2002 04:59:19, schrieb Stephan Schneider <[email protected]>:

>hello,
>i would like to know if /nuH/ in this sentence means "weapon" or "weapons".
>
>DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq
>'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS.

First, I would say, it can mean both, since nouns can be singular or plural.
Second, I think it's plural, since a klingon ship has more than one weapon.
Third: the prefix (which isn't there) indicates it is singular.
four: it is also singular on {'op SuvwI'}, but there it should be plural. Maybe someone forgot it.

That's from the skybox Card 7:

   {qIvo'rIt *pagh'e'*}	K'Vort Class *Pagh*

   {qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj *pagh'e'*. ra' qarghan HoD. DujvamDaq
   tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI'
   tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS.}

   "The Imperial Klingon Vessel *Pagh* is a K'Vort­class Bird ­of ­Prey under the
   command of Captain Kargan. It has the best weapons and some of the
   finest warriors in the Klingon fleet."

But should this not be {*lu*tu'lu'bogh}, "(which) one observes them"?
With nuH, it could still be singular, but {'op SuvwI'} must be more than one.

Hm.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level