tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 20 12:55:13 2002

Re: Fwd: Hol pIq (was RE: QeD De'wI' ngermey)

At 09:46 20/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Qov wrote:
> > jay'. motlh muyajlaH vay'.  Just between first and second edition we got a
> > lot of new meanings added to existing words like tlhob and nIS.  This
>
>Ah, but still, you're talking about words "growing" only on the basis of
>Okrand providing new meanings or connotations himself.  These connotations
>don't seem to have come from natural evolution here, like, as someone else
>mentioned, the use of { 'o' } to also mean "butt".  :)

Natural evolution is something we specifically strive to avoid.  We want
the language to be as accessible to someone new as it us to us.

You think you're a little annoyed now by all the "you can't do that" and
"you have to do it this way" dictates that you're getting now.  Imagine if
you'd read your TKD and showed up on the group and we'd started telling
you, "I know TKD defines yaD as toe, but since the introduction of the
specific toe words, its meaning has shifted northwards until it now means
clitoris, so your posting is really funny.  Also hardly anyone says -taHvIS
anymore, it's just been elided to -tIS." And so on.  The KLI *has* in
jokes, accidentally created, widely recognized words, but we try not to
contaminate the "real" Klingon language with them.

Another reason we don't let the langauge evolve based on what we do, is
that we'd be creating a Klingon-English-German creole.  Our native
languages would pull Klingon to be more like them, and what's the sense in
that?

Back to archive top level