tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 20 02:22:29 2002

Re: Fwd: Hol pIq (was RE: QeD De'wI' ngermey)

At 19:15 19/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Qov wrote:
> > Not true.  We have a lot of new meanings to existing words.  You just
> > haven't been around long enough to watch words develop in meaning.  How
> > about Do' Qe', the three meanings of jIH, magh, bol, chel, ruQ.  In fact,
> > almost every time Okrand creates a phrase, he give us a subtly different
> > meaning of some word.
>
>What're the new alternate meanings of magh, bol, chel and ruQ?

I'm sorry, I don't catalogue sources very well like some people do.  I
usually can just remember pretty well when we learned new words, but been
very busy last week.  I just grabbed some examples out of my head.  The
meaning of magh (I may be confused with 'agh or 'ang) has been expanded on
since it was first introduced.  bol and chel I'm pretty sure were expanded
in KGT but it might have been earlier,  Someone gave me a gift with a pun
on the new meaning of bol back in Las Vegas, was that pre-KGT?  I looked up
ruQ, and I see I meant raQ.  raQ used to just mean camp, but now it takes
on the old meaning of ruQ, with the additional meaning
"handle."  jabbI'IDghom vIlaDchu'be'mo' 'a qaStaHvIS wa'maH DIS Hol
DabejtaHchugh, vaj mu' chu' Dalegh.   DaH jIj yeq je DIyaj.  va, jIDoy'qu'
jay'. motlh muyajlaH vay'.  Just between first and second edition we got a
lot of new meanings added to existing words like tlhob and nIS.  This
sounds pretty bad.  qamaw 'e' vIHechbe', maqIHbejDI' majatlhjaj.  Sach Hol
'ej choqlu' 'e' DaneHba'mo' qavuv.  QujwIj'e' DatIvchoH 'e' vItul.

Back to archive top level