tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 20 12:54:47 2002

Re: mu'qaD veS (was Re: QeD De'wI' ngermey)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, David Trimboli wrote:
> qo' DaleghmoHbogh qechlIj'e'
> your idea which causes the world to see
>
> Do you see why I'm having trouble with your sentence?  This is one of those
> ditransitive problems.  Some might suggest you mimic the "heritage" sentence
> (/ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH/), in which case your original would be more or less
> correct with the right prefix (/qo' nIleghmoHbogh qechlIj'e'/ = /SoHvaD qo'
> leghmoHbogh qechlIj'e'/ = "your ideas which make you see the world"), but I
> don't buy that one.  (It's just one example, and there are a number of ways
> to interpret it.)

Doh!  I see your point now.  At first I thought it was just a head/tail
confusion with the clause...  Hmm, maybe I'll just stick to { vIt Danej
'e' vIt Dalegh } :)

> > > qatlh jechvetlh DatuQtaH . . . ?  toH, qablIj 'oH'a' jay'?!?
> >
> > He'qu' SoSlI'; veQDuj rur!  yuQ latlh vIbavtaHvIS ghaH vIlarghtaH!
>
> chotIchtaH 'e' DanID'a'?  mu'qaD'e' lIngpu'bogh targhwIj tlhuQ bIng nIv law'
> mu'qaDlIj nIv puS!

(Doh, typo, { vIlarghtaH } -> { vIlarghlaH }  "I can smell her from the
orbit of another planet!"

BTW, is { yuQ latlh } correct, or is { latlh } supposed to be used more
like a number, in which case it would be { latlh yuQ }?

mutIchmeH targhwIj laH QaQ law' laHlIj QaQ puS.  chaq 'oH rurmeH tuq
DeghlIj DachoHnISmoH?  :)

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
     "If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?
         Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?" -- Seymour Cray

Back to archive top level