tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 14 13:14:40 2002

Re: tlhIngan-Hol Digest 14 Nov 2002 06:00:00 -0000 Issue 2398

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> > > But how might I describe "push" or "insert"
> >
> > TKD p148  "push" (v) - yuv
>
> Hmm, I'm not inclined to use that.  In English, "push" can mean several
> things, all based on context.  Most of the connotations are physical,
> "I push the button", "He pushed me down the stairs".  But some are not.
> "He's pushing to get his bill ratified in Congress."  It may still be
> appropriate.  "I pushed the value onto the stack..."

Why not use it?  In English it's jargon for you, and we don't have Klingon
jargon for programming.  The English is derived from a metaphor, so why not
use the same metaphor in Klingon?  You'll have to warn the reader or
listener, though, that you're making up your own jargon.

> Followup -- I've seen { HIDjolev } for "menu", but what would be
appropriate
> for "list"?  { patlh Hoch } just isn't satisfying for some reason...  :)

tetlh
roll, scroll, list

SuStel
Stardate 2871.5