tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 06 09:44:40 2002

Re: jIH vIchuHlu' - Words mentioned earlier but not in the New Words list?

> I listed/specified in the message tlhIngan for,
> "teacher, mentor", "a condiment", "conquered people", "Death Ritual",

As others have said, the words have to come from Okrand; no problem.

Now, the word "teacher"...  we have ghoj "learn".  Okrand even included
ghojmoH "teach" (actually "cause to learn"), he did this because people might
not think to look up "learn" and add -moH.  Among the first things one learns
are the prefixes and suffixes.  Verb suffix -wI' becomes very well known.
Adding -wI' to ghojmoH isn't a big step.

What words with -wI' should get listed, which ones shouldn't.  This is why it's
difficult to answer when someone asks "How large is the klingon vocabulary?".

DloraH

Back to archive top level