tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 20 15:55:32 2002

RE: the banned book / BG

Pillow:
> >> HetaQ paq ngevqa'law' SuvwI'meychaj  malja'.
> >
> > What I intended to say was, "A warriors' business appears to be selling
> > HetaQ's book again." The point I fumbled so badly was that it's a
> > business for scattered about warriors (as in mail-order stuff that can
> > be shipped to us scattered-about tlhInganqoq).

DloraH:
>Do we need to specify that it is for us warriors?  One could either say that
>it's obvious it's for us, or one could be optimistic and say it's
>restrictive, what about the non-warriors that want to have it on their shelf?

I think Pillow meant that a martial arts publisher or a business that sells
martial arts paraphernalia  ("a warriors' business") is selling HetaQ's
book again, not that it's being marketed only to us warriors.

As to how to say it...

   SuvwI' Suy
   a warrior-merchant

   SuvmeH 'aH ngevbogh malja'
   a business which sells fighting paraphernalia

   SuvmeH luch ngevbogh Suy
   a merchant who sells fighting equipment

Putting this together:

   HetaQ paq ngevqa'law' wa' SuvwI' Suy.

   HetaQ paq ngevqa'law' SuvmeH 'aH ngevbogh malja'.

   HetaQ paq ngevqa'law' SuvmeH luch ngevbogh Suy.

Hmm... can we really use {-meH}ed nouns like this?  Okrand has coined
several - e.g. {ghojmeH taj} "a boy's knife (knife for learning)", {qa'meH
vIttlhegh} "replacement proverb", {SopmeH pa'} dining room, eating room",
{ngongmeH Duj} "experimental ship", {QongmeH Duj} "sleeper ship" - but he
hasn't really used them much in sentences except for the last two:

   ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
   [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in
    one experimental ship. (untranslated on card)] S33

   tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang ghompu'
    DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
   A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in
    the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

I guess we can... {QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang} "the T'Ong, a
K'Tinga-[class] sleeper ship" is the direct object of {ghom}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level