tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 16:27:12 2002

sequence (was Re: KLBC: Phrase)

>   It is possible to join the sentences with a conjunction such as {'ej} and
>or
>   {'ach} but:
>      wam chaH 'ej ghIq Soj luvut.
>       They hunt and then they prepare food.

I defer this to an interesting tidbit on Klingon grammar recorded on Teresh's
home page.

Quote:

   6.2.1. Compound sentences

       1.The conjunction 'ej merely indicates the (simultaneous?) occurence
of two events; there is no time sequence implied, eg. mabom 'ej matlhutlh "We
sing and we drink", not *"We sing and then drink" [MSN, 3/20/98]

       2.Sequence seems to be indicated by the lack of a conjunction, eg.
bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh "Klingons are born, become warriors,
then die."; beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH "They are letting out an ever-louder
howl." [TKW, p5; S31]

Unquote. Thanks Teresh.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711/kliadd6.html

--