tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 13:54:26 2002

Re: [KLBC] SISpu' [KLBC]

vIQleS wrote:
> >I think, that without question, that is the best explanation I have ever
> >heard about sentence structure. I have saved this e-mail on my hard drive.
> >taSvetlh pup law' taSmey pup pus.  De'wI'Daq vIpolta'
>
>I was trying to find a noun for explanation, hence taS.  It might have been
>less confusing to rewrite it to use the noun QIj...

Unfortunately, {QIj} "explain" is a verb, not a noun.  When you can't find
a suitable noun, it's time to recast using a verb or verb phrase.  E.g.:

   tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh QIjmeH QInlIj qaq law' Hoch qaq puS.
   Your explanation of Klingon sentences is the best of all.
   ("For explaining the Klingon language sentence, your message is best of
all.)

Cf. for the pattern:

   jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
   Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (MO's ST5 notes)
   ("For him to be captured, our Empire's reward is largest of all.")

   tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
   Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW
   ("For drinking, fake ale is better than water.")

Even better is to simplify the idea further to:

   tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey DaQIjchu'ta'.
   You have explained Klingon sentences perfectly.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level