tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 12:40:04 2002

RE: KLBC: Paul Simon

lab DoraH:

>  > if composing is only the action of writing down what you have in
>>  mind, then he has breaks. if composing texts is reflecting about the
>>  world you live in, then you are always composing as long as no one
>>  distracts you.
>
>Ok, for composing, yes.  But for singing I still suggest no.

HISlaH.

>  > >  > >  > waghqu' *concert*vamDaq quSmey.
>>  >>  >  > The seats [tickets] at this concert are very expensive.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >What's being expensive?  The "seats at the concert"?  Nouns with a
>>  type 5
>>  >>  >suffix can't modify a noun; so as a locative it should go before
>>  >>  >the verb.
>>  >>
>>  >>  is it because a word ending in "-Daq" acts like a header?
>>  >
>>  >It's because TKD p31 (sec 3.4) says "...only the second noun can take
>>  >syntactic suffixes (type 5)..."
>>  >
>>  >DloraH, BG
>>
>>  do you say this as DloraH or as BG? i mean, of course tkd is the
>>  basis, but can't we try to do some gramatical philosophy about the
>>  rules?
>
>This one was as BG.  This particular rule doesn't say "usually" or "should",
>etc.  The statement is quite definite.
>If a TKD rule includes "usually", then we can discuss it's
>possibilities (, and
>spill blood).

no, no. i didn't want to discuss what the rule means, but if we can
explain it in a different way than "it doesn't work because it
doesn't work".

>  > seemingly the /-Daq/ glues more than the a noun-noun combination.
>
>That's what this is about; it can't be the glue in a noun-noun.

see? no we have used the word "glue" although it doesn't appear in TKD.
isn't it a nice challenge to formulate easier rules and new rules in
order to make something easier?

>DloraH, BG

tulwI',
sts.