tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 08:14:56 2002

RE: KLBC: Paul Simon

> >  > >  > QoQ Qat qontaH 'ej muchtaH.
> >>  >  > He sings and composes pop music.
> >>  >
> >>  >I don't think the -taH is right here.  He may have been doing it
> >>  >for years, but he does sleep and eat, etc.
> >>
> >>  everything has it's "pulsing" rhythm (-> /rut/ ?). it's important
> >>  that that rhythm isn't interrupted (-> /-taH/ ?).
> >>  for example, when i write this e-mail, i write it continiously,
> >>  even if i from time to time watch the clock or scratch my head.
> >
> >True; but if you leave your computer, go shopping, eat dinner, go to
> sleep,
> >the next morning go to work, then come back to your computer to finish
> >the message, I don't think -taH is the best choice.
>
> yes. maybe it's only continious if i remain seated at the computer
> (i.e. there, where i write the e-mail).
>
> >His singing and composing has longer breaks than looking at the clock
> >and scratching his head.
>
> if composing is only the action of writing down what you have in
> mind, then he has breaks. if composing texts is reflecting about the
> world you live in, then you are always composing as long as no one
> distracts you.

Ok, for composing, yes.  But for singing I still suggest no.

> >  > >  > waghqu' *concert*vamDaq quSmey.
> >>  >  > The seats [tickets] at this concert are very expensive.
> >>  >
> >>  >What's being expensive?  The "seats at the concert"?  Nouns with a
> type 5
> >>  >suffix can't modify a noun; so as a locative it should go before
> >>  >the verb.
> >>
> >>  is it because a word ending in "-Daq" acts like a header?
> >
> >It's because TKD p31 (sec 3.4) says "...only the second noun can take
> >syntactic suffixes (type 5)..."
> >
> >DloraH, BG
>
> do you say this as DloraH or as BG? i mean, of course tkd is the
> basis, but can't we try to do some gramatical philosophy about the
> rules?

This one was as BG.  This particular rule doesn't say "usually" or "should",
etc.  The statement is quite definite.
If a TKD rule includes "usually", then we can discuss it's possibilities (, and
spill blood).

> seemingly the /-Daq/ glues more than the a noun-noun combination.

That's what this is about; it can't be the glue in a noun-noun.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level