tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 12:20:47 2002

>>btw, i see that <r> in klingon is no consonant, as the word <Hurgh>
>>would be impossible to pronounce if it was. is <r> like in
>>english/american?
>>
>>maybe this is called a semi-consonant, like <w> and <y>, too?
>
>If you listen to the language tapes, Marc Okrand pronounces /r/ differently
>depending on how it is used.  When part of /rgh/, he pronounces it like an
>American "r."  When not a part of /rgh/, he pronounces it "lightly
>trilled".

When speaking Klingon I always pronounce "r" "lightly trilled" or rolled,
including in /rgh/ cluster. I thought I was following the
MO's own instructions:

   "This is not like the r in American English, but it
   does resemble the r in some dialects of British English,
   as well as the r in many languages of Europe. It is slightly
   trilled or rolled. [TKD 1.1]

If the tapes are canon, what IS the right pronunciation?

'ISqu'