tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 11:34:39 2002

latlh

From: "Stephan Schneider" <[email protected]>
> >  > so <latlh> is a noun. <latlh tlhInganpu'> is "the others of the
> >  > klingons", right?
> >
> >Well, no.  This particular example sounds really weird, but it would be
closer
> >to "klingons of others".  Let's use other examples that don't sound so
bad.

> yes, of course!! oops. now it makes sence. but it _is_ a noun-noun
> construction, right? it's strange to me to have a noun that means
> "the others"... but that's klingon.

There are a few words that I think of as "quantity nouns" that appear to
work as noun-noun constructions, but don't translate into English
possessive.  These words are Hoch, HochHom, latlh, bID, and 'op.  (I might
be forgetting one though.)

Generally, these seem to go before another noun in order to modify that
noun.  Each word seems to work differently, so I won't detail them all here.
There even seem to be times that one or more of them can come after the
noun.

The way we've seen /latlh/ work, it appears that /latlh X/ can mean "another
X."  It might also mean "someone else's X" or "another thing's X."

SuStel
Stardate 2539.9

Back to archive top level