tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 05:06:56 2002

maDISnIS'a'?

qonlu':
>If you really have something you wish to express (like {'arlogh} before
>that became a word) and there is no way to express it within the patterns
>we've seen in canon, then I see just cause in using strange grammar, so
>long as you admit that it is strange and confess that you simply don't have
>a more conventional way of saying this.

Klingon grammar confessionals? What a concept. Maybe we need some
Commandments too.

Most of us do Klingon for the sheer enjoyment of it, tho oftentimes perverse.
It's fun to fantasize about a Klingon language. There is an internal
conceptualization (i.e. there are aliens out there and we are learning their
language -- very cool) and an external conceptualization (there's some guy
who was hired by a corporation to create a language to lend verisimilitude to
a product, and we're learning THAT -- quite dull). When someone waffles
between the internal and external conceptualizations to try to prove a point,
I just get that sinking feeling and wonder if anyone really finds this
interesting anymore.

So, 'arlogh became a word when Okrand made it up? It wasn't always a Klingon
word that was just discovered at some point? Fine, then your stepping out
of the story. But remember that once you do that, this language is a waste of
time. Then there are plenty of real languages out there you can learn if you
want to win friends or debates, and your correctitude will have a good deal
more relevance and perhaps even appreciation. We're all quite aware that
there is an external history to the language and that it can be used to
create tyrades about correctness, but we're not generally interested in that.

I think that is really the matter with those of us who like to theorize about
the language and assume for the sake of enjoyment that it is a complete
language, barring the incompleteness of what Okrand has disseminated to date.
If you don't enjoy that, then you really belong on a different mailing list.
Me, I'll stick to doing what I find most interesting, not excusing myself
from showing disdain to those who interfere. After all, this is a hobby, and
when it ceases to be fun, there really is no point in letting it go on.

--
Andrew Strader

Back to archive top level