tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 30 13:42:05 2002

RE: Sentence that needs help translating properly.

DloraH wrote:
:> Kirklin seeks to make a name for himself, in the scientific world.
:>
:> verbs: seek & make = nej & make
:
: First choice for "make" is chenmoH "cause to take form", but it doesn't
: sound like you're talking about actually constructing a name.  It looks like
: you're refering more to one's reputation.
: Another choice is cher "establish".

Don't forget {noy} "be famous, be well known".  To this, add the Type 3 "change
in state/direction" suffix {-moH} to get *{noychoH} "become famous/well known".

: "Seek" here isn't the same as opening your eye, looking around, looking
: under the table; nope, my name isn't under there.  This could also be
: written as "He hopes to make a name..." or "He wishes to make a name..." or
: "He tries to make a name...". Depending on exactly what you what it to mean
: effects which klingon word we choose.

{nej} means seek in the sense of "look for, seek, search for" (e.g. a guard
seeking an escaped prisoner).  What you want is {nID} "attempt, try".

  noychoH 'e' nID Kirklin.
  Kirklin attempts to become famous.

  noychoH neH Kirklin.
  Kirklin wants to become famous.

: "in the scientific world"; you shouldn't use -Daq because this isn't a
: physical place.  Perhaps:
:
: QeD qo'vaD quv 'e' tul

{-vaD} doesn't feel right either.  I don't think that Kirklin wants to make a
name for himself for the benefit of the world of science, but for his/her own
benefit.  But I'm not sure how to render "in the world of science" either.

: I'm half asleep.  Let's see what others come up with...

Maybe we can try something fancy with {-'e'}"

  QeD qo''e', noychoH 'e' nID Kirklin tej.
  As for the world of science, Kirklin attempts to become famous.
  With regard to the world of science, Kirklin attempts to become famous.

Hmm... maybe not.

There's an interesting quote from KGT on dueling (p.69) about getting others to
respect you:

  "Though any perceived attack on one's honor may prompt one to
   issue a challenge, in one traditional form of duel, the goal
   is specifically for a man to "win the favor of a women" ({vuv
   be' 'e' baj} [literally, 'earn that a woman respect him']) by
   competing with another man."

So using this as a model:

  ghaH vuv QeD qo' 'e' baj 'e' nID Kirklin.
  Kirklin is attempting to earn the respect of the world of science.
  ("Kirklin attempts to earn that the world of science respects HIM.")

Instead of saying "the world of science," try "the world's scientists":

  luvuv qo' tejpu' 'e' baj 'e' nID Kirklin.
  Kirklin is attempting to earn the respect of the world's scientists.
  ("Kirklin attempts to earn that the world's scientists respect him.")

Or if you don't like two SAO's in one sentence, just say simply:

  luvuv qo' tejpu' neH Kirklin.
  Kirklin wants the world's scientists to respect him.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level