tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 28 23:23:35 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhatlh (n)

ja' slapdash <[email protected]>:
>Normally "Definition:" would be the English word that
>"Klingon word:" is associated with/equals.  But since
>"tlhatlh" is a Klingon dish with no English equivalent,
>even English speakers would use the Klingong word --
>but, they would pronounce it in an English way, which
>sounds like "gladst".

KGT actually explains this odd discrepancy as a Klingon dialect.  Some
speakers pronounce the {tlh} oddly (specifically the restauranteur on Deep
Space Nine, if I'm remembering correctly).  The "gladst" pronunciation is a
Klingon one, not a Terran one.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level