tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 21 14:35:16 2002

forgiving (was Re: [KLBC] some more questions)

ja' qe'San:
>If something was done that needed forgiveness the culpritt would have lost
>honour.

quvqa'meH vangwI', qa'meH vIttlhegh jatlhnIS neH.
That's what we have replacement proverbs for.

>So to have the Klingon, needing to forgive, advise that he
>considered honour restored would surely be equivelant and all the
>forgiveness that the culpritt would require...

Klingon customs consider that honor is restored and the offense forgotten
as soon as the offender gives a replacement proverb.  If someone wishes to
formally absolve the culprit, perhaps he might say:

bIqay'be'.  qa'meH vIttlhegh DajatlhnISbe'.

>The next question is would the honour need to be restored to the victim, the
>culpritt or both?

If I wished to explicitly restore honor to someone who has had it taken
away, I'd be likely to tell him {Ha'qujlIj vItatlh}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level