tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 21 10:47:48 2002

RE: KLBC Practicing Locatives

DloraH wrote:
> > nIHwI' bach lojmItDaq Qambogh jonwI'
> > The engineer standing in the doorway shoots the thief.
>
>I don't know if we know yet how to use bach.  Does someone shoot a gun, or
>does someone shoot the target, or does the gun shoot a bullet?

You shoot a gun, you shoot a bullet (or energy beam), but you shoot *at*
(-Daq) the target - cf. the examples from Okrand's ST5 notes and SkyBox S14:

"The verb used for 'shoot' when referring to disruptors is {bach}.
Technically speaking, one shoots the energy beam from the disruptor. The
general word for any energy beam (ray) is {tIH}, so a disruptor's beam is
{nISwI' tIH}. Thus, the correct formation is {nISwI' tIH bach} (shoot the
disruptor beam). As a practical matter, however, the {tIH} is often left
out, and {nISwI' bach} is the common way to say 'shoot a disruptor'.
Similarly, {pu' bach} is 'shoot a phaser'." (KGT 56)

logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (MO's ST5 notes)

SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam
This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective range
for distance targeting. (S14)

pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
Curse well! (i.e. "Shoot curses forcefully!")
["Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be propelled to their
targets." (TKW 148)]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons