tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 31 15:24:23 2002

Re: two different types of object

At 15:02 02-08-30 +0200, you wrote:

>Qov:
> > >When is them plus me not us?
>
>At least in German and dutch, "us" only refers to persons, as far as I know.
>This situation:
>Somebody is sitting on the roof, and his computer is right next to him. A
>friend of him is looking for that person. Would the person say "do you see
>us?", talking about the computer and himself?
>
>I don't know if it's wrong, but somehow it sounds wrong.

You're absolutely right. I sometimes use "we" to refer to me and an object
such an airplane or a car, but only when I'm personifying the object. That
usage is very marked.

You'd have to go with  cholegh'a' 'ej De'wI'wIj Dalegh'a'?

And stay with qorDu'wIj jIH je chequvmoH.

Back to archive top level