tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 10:57:54 2002

Re: Can anyone answer my question?

Voragh:
> >   logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'.
> >   Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
> >   ("If he shoots at space garbage, a warrior cannot prove [test
> >      conclusively] that he is brave.)
> >
> >BTW, this indicates that what you're shooting at is marked with
> >{-Daq}.  I.e. one "shoots at" a target or {DoSDaq bach}.

Quvar:
>It also indicates that "When the noun-noun construction is used, only the
>second noun can take syntactic suffixes": {logh veQDaq}

True, if {logh veQ} is a noun-noun construction: "space garbage" (as
opposed to other kinds of garbage).  But note that you can also say:

   loghDaq veQDaq bachchugh yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'.
   In space, if he shoots at garbage a warrior cannot prove that he is brave.

Here we're talking about garbage in general (for example, the trash in the
ship's mess hall).

> >   pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
> >shows that what is shot - i.e. the projectile - is the direct object of
> {bach}.
>
>shortly:
>{bach} can be used transitively, its object is what is being shot, and its
>target takes the locative suffix {-Daq}.  like this?
>
>maHDaq cha lubachDI' romuluSnganpu' DujchajDaq mabachchoH.
>"as soon as the rommies shoot the torpedoes at us, we start firing at
>their ship"

Correct.  It sounds a bit odd with {maHDaq} to me, but it's perfectly
grammatical.  This would be a good place to use the "prefix trick":

   cha nubachDI' romuluSnganpu', DujchajDaq mabachchoH.

This works because it's unlikely the Romulans will be using us as the
projectile!

>verenganDaq QImmey vIbach
>"I shoot eggs at the ferengi."

Correct, though I might have used {jaD} "throw around, hurl about".  Okrand
specifically associates this verb with food:

   Note that {Soj woD} ("He/she throws the food away"), which refers to a
   regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD" ("He/she throws
   or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile"), which, under certain
   circumstances, is considered a reasonable pastime." (KGT 91)

 From this, it appears that {jaD} works like {bach}:

   verenganDaq QImmey vIjaD
   I throw eggs at the Ferengi.

--