tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 14:18:16 2002

Re: Can anyone answer my question?

Quvar writes:
> From ST5: The klingons are speaking about what is gonna happen, after
> they captured kirk.
>{vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'} "So the Federation will certainly send their
>rescueship."
>Unfortunately, the movie-makers (how should I call it??) made a mistake,
>and used that phrase twice. Now Okrand had to re-phrase it, and it became
>{vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'} "Shooting space garbage is no test of a
>warrior's mettle."

Here's the line Okrand originally intended Klaa to say, as published in
HolQeD 8.4:

   logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'.
   Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
   ("If he shoots at space garbage, a warrior cannot prove [test conclusively]
     that he is brave.)

BTW, this indicates that what you're shooting at is marked with
{-Daq}.  I.e. one "shoots at" a target or {DoSDaq bach}.  A line from TKW:

   pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
   Curse well!
   (lit. "Shoot curses forcefully!")

shows that what is shot - i.e. the projectile - is the direct object of
{bach}.  Okrand even explains this a bit in the commentary:

   Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be propelled
   to their targets.  (TKW p.148)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons