tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 03:54:28 2002

Re: Can anyone answer my question?

ghItlh Voragh:

>   logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'.
>   Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
>   ("If he shoots at space garbage, a warrior cannot prove [test conclusively]
>     that he is brave.)
>
>BTW, this indicates that what you're shooting at is marked with
>{-Daq}.  I.e. one "shoots at" a target or {DoSDaq bach}.

It also indicates that "When the noun-noun construction is used, only the second noun can take syntactic
suffixes": {logh veQDaq}

>   pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
>shows that what is shot - i.e. the projectile - is the direct object of
>{bach}.

shortly:
{bach} can be used transitively, its object is what is being shot, and its target takes the locative suffix
{-Daq}.

maHDaq cha lubachDI' romuluSnganpu' DujchajDaq mabachchoH.
"as soon as the rommies shoot the torpedoes at us, we start fireing at their ship"

verenganDaq QImmey vIbach
"I shoot eggs at the ferengi."

like this?

Quvar.