tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 12:43:59 2002

Re: Why do type 6s come before type 7s?

lab tulwI'

>you have the rules in your brain, and therefore you can feel what's right
>and wrong. unless you don't give names and rules to what you feel, you
>cannot teach the language to someone else, you can only repeat it and make
>the other one repeat. this is the natural way of teaching, and of course
>it is beautiful and all. the only problem here is that i am interested in
>the rules. i want to know them by name, as to speak. you don't. that's all.

You want to know the rules, and know them by name, yet you reject the names
and the rules that are provided in TKD.  They are the only rules we have!

In fact, there is something the good speakers have to guard against:  we
learn the definitions and the rules; we internalize them and forget the
verbatim rules and definitions we learned; we restate what we know in the
form of a rule or definition in order to help someone else and then we
start thinking that our rule takes precedence to the TKD rule, because we
use the language.

Back to archive top level