tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 12:10:03 2002

Re: Why do type 6s come before type 7s?

mojaq Seghmey vIQIjmo' lab tulwI':

>the scope of tkd is to describe correctly spoken klingon. and i want
>to have descriptions of correctly spoken english. the fact is, that i
>don't like these descriptions. you do, ok. it's good that we
>compared. :)

One of the points I was trying to make with my English example is that the
descriptions are irrelevant.  What is important is that your understanding
of the language, regardless of how you express it, results in your
producing grammatically correct Klingon.

Describing a language is like describing chess moves.  I say that a bishop
can only move diagonally, you say that a bishop can only move in straight
lines over squares of the same colour it started on.  I say that a knight
moves two along and one to the side, you say a knight moves one to the side
and two along.  Someone else doesn't even remember how to describe the
moves, just knows which squares it is legal to place the chessman on.  The
moves are identical, while we are playing I am unaware of how the other
player thinks of the moves.

If your problem with TKD is that you don't UNDERSTAND the description
presented, please ask about any aspect and the BG will give you
examples.  In many cases we don't know how it works, the written
description is all we have.  That is why we are so concerned about the
exact descriptions.  We don't want to do anything that is not permitted.

What I strongly suggest, is that instead of posting your re-description of
the language, post Klingon sentences based on your description of the
language.  If you make a mistake you will be corrected -- using Okrand's
description of the language -- and you can refine your own model.

Back to archive top level