tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 13:48:43 2001

Re: QamvIS Hegh, torvIS yIn

> QamvIS Hegh qaq law, torvIS yIn qaq puS.

  "Better to die on our feet than live on our knees." ST6

SuStel:
: This is a really weird sentence.  What is it doing?  Are /Hegh/ and /yIn/
: nouns or verbs? If nouns, the law'/puS construction isn't too strange, but
: the you've got a subordinate clause modifying a noun, not a verb.  If they
: are verbs, then the subordinate clauses work, but the law'/puS is wrong.

Although Okrand analyzed it as:

  "Dying while standing is preferable to living while kneeling"

in TKW (p.95), it makes more sense to me viewing them as nouns:

  "Death while standing is preferable to life while kneeling"

: And either way we're missing two /-taH/ suffixes!

Okrand goes on to say:

  "The grammatical construction is a bit aberrant; one would
   expect {QamtaHvIS} and {tortaHvIS}. In proverbs, grammatical
   shortcuts are not uncommon."

: Thank goodness this is a proverb, and we can explain it away as
: grammar that "doesn't count."

A better working explanation is that this proverb contains a survival of how
{-vIS} worked in older Klingon, before Klingons started adding {-taH} to it,
for reasons which are still unexplained.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level