tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 13:37:10 2001

RE: stretching law'/puS

DloraH:
> I've seen many people attach relative clauses to the nouns.
> Do we have any law'/puS canon with V-bogh A Q law' V-bogh B Q puS?

pagh:
: A marginally related canon example popped into my head:
:
:  QamvIS Hegh qaq law, torvIS yIn qaq puS.
:
: Ignoring the grammatical weirdness of <-vIS> without <-taH>, this is one of
: the more complex ways law'/puS can be stretched. <-bogh> clauses, which act
: like nouns, are much easier to fit.
:
: Here's an example from a Skybox card (my namesake) with a couple of <-bogh>
: clause:
:
:  qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'. ra' qarghan HoD. DujvamDaq
:  tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI'
:  tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS.

  "It [IKV (Imperial Klingon Vessel) Pagh] has the best weapons and
   some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. (SkyBox S7)

That's the only law'/puS with a {-bogh} clause I know of, but there are other
ways to stretch law'/puS.

The law'/puS formula can follow a modifying dependent clause, which I've set
off in [brackets]:

  [noH ghoblu'DI'] yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
  [In war] there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

  [tlhutlhmeH] HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
  [Drinking] fake ale is better than [drinking] water. TKW

Here's another one from Okrand's unpublished notes for ST5:

  [jonlu'meH] wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
  Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head.

and another with somewhat convuluted {-lu'} syntax:

  [tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh] Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh puS
  The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS... S27

The law'/puS formula can also follow a modifying [locative phrase]:

  [reH latlh qabDaq] qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
  The fire is always hotter [on someone else's face]. PK

  [qIbDaq SuvwI''e'] SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
   You would be the greatest [warrior in the galaxy]! ST5

Notice the sophisticated use of locative phrases in the SkyBox S7 example pagh
cited above:

  [DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh] pov law' <Hoch> pov puS 'ej
  [DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh] po' law' <tlhIngan yo' SuvwI'
  law'> po' puS.

Here the locative phrases beginning with {DujvamDaq} modifies only part A of
the formula in both comparisons:

  [A] pov law' <Hoch> pov puS

  [A] po' law' <tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'> po' puS

and dig part B in the second comparison, which I've set off with <angle
brackets>.  If you don't pay attention to how each {law'} is used in the
sentence, you'll be confused - plus there's a nice alliterative play on {pov}
and {po'}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons