tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 12:58:50 2001

QamvIS Hegh, torvIS yIn

From: "Eric Andeen" <[email protected]>
> QamvIS Hegh qaq law, torvIS yIn qaq puS.
>
> Ignoring the grammatical weirdness of <-vIS> without <-taH>, this is one
of
> the more complex ways law'/puS can be stretched. <-bogh> clauses, which
act
> like nouns, are much easier to fit.

This is a really weird sentence.  What is it doing?  Are /Hegh/ and /yIn/
nouns or verbs?  If nouns, the law'/puS construction isn't too strange, but
the you've got a subordinate clause modifying a noun, not a verb.  If they
are verbs, then the subordinate clauses work, but the law'/puS is wrong.
And either way we're missing two /-taH/ suffixes!

QamvIS Hegh
die while standing?
death while standing?

torvIS yIn
live while kneeling?
life while kneeling?

Thank goodness this is a proverb, and we can explain it away as grammar that
"doesn't count."

SuStel
Stardate 1800.8

Back to archive top level