tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 18 14:32:38 2001

Re: (no longer KLBC) 'ej/je (was: Re: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta')

From: <[email protected]>

> > Not really.  TKD simply doesn't fully explain that the difference
between
> > "sentence" and "verb" in Klingon is very slight.
>
> When the verb is being used as the main verb.  When you throw -bogh on the
verb
> or use the verb as an adjective, it is no longer a sentence.
>
> > We've seen example after example that shows that sentences are really
just
> > verbs that may or may not have nouns associated with them.  It should
come
> > as no surprise when we see verbs conjoined by the so-called sentence
> > conjunctions.
>
> Yes, sentences are verbs, with or without nouns.
> But a verb with -bogh is not a sentence, it is a relative clause.

You're not getting me; let me rephrase.  BECAUSE sentences and verbs are so
closely related, and BECAUSE of the well-established canonical set of verbs
joined by so-called sentence conjunctions, it should therefore come as no
surprise that you can, in fact, join verbs that are NOT complete sentences,
like verbs with /-bogh/ on them.  /yoHbogh/ is as much a verb as /yoH/ is,
and you can join it to /matlhbogh/ with a "sentence conjunction."

SuStel yajbe'lu'bogh qoj Harbe'lu'bogh
Stardate 1798.2

Back to archive top level