tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 18 10:45:44 2001

Re: (no longer KLBC) 'ej/je (was: Re: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta')

From: <[email protected]>

> > 'Iw/

> Then KGT and TKD conflict.

Not really.  TKD simply doesn't fully explain that the difference between
"sentence" and "verb" in Klingon is very slight.  Remember, TKD warns that
it is simply explaining the basics of Klingon grammar; there are many areas
where the basic rules are not enough (as especially demonstrated in KGT).

We've seen example after example that shows that sentences are really just
verbs that may or may not have nouns associated with them.  It should come
as no surprise when we see verbs conjoined by the so-called sentence
conjunctions.

And there are other examples of this, in and beyond KGT.

> What MO wrote in KGT were fragment sentences. I wonder if he had used them
in
> full sentences if he would have seen the conflict.

He's used this sort of thing in complete sentences.  I don't have my books
with me now, but there are at least two in TKW, along the lines of /quvbe'
HoHbogh ghot 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh/ "the person who kills without showing
his face has no honor" (that's not an exact quotation).

> KGT p82, "To describe yellow tes, one must say SuD Dargh 'ej wov (The tea
is
> SuD and light) or SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh (The tea that is SuD and
light)."
> The first example is fine, it contains complete sentences; SuD Dargh is a
> complete sentence, wov is a complete sentence.  MO took those same first
> sentences, maintained the layout, and added -bogh in there; but
adding -bogh
> changes them from sentences to relative clauses.  Was that one word 'ej
the
> slip, or are those whole paragraphs from TKD wrong?  Has anyone asked MO
about
> this specific example and its conflict?

No, really, you can conjoin any verbs.  It's true.  It's been done for
years--by Marc Okrand, no less.  No kidding.  The description in TKD isn't
wrong, it just doesn't tell the whole story.

lughbejbogh SuStel 'ej jeQtaHbogh
Stardate 1797.8

Back to archive top level