tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 17 23:09:37 2001

RE: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta'

> yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'  /  Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
> (from /Qoy qeylIS puqloD/, also known as /SuvwI' van bom/)
>
> The line SHOULD read /yoHbogh SuvwI' 'ej matlhbogh Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw/
> ("The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true").  You
can't
> join two verbs with /je/.  But this doesn't fit in with the song's meter.

Where are the two verbs being joined by je?
[yoHbogh SuvwI'] is not a verb.

I agree that the line is not correct, but it would not be what you wrote
either.

yoHbogh SuvwI'  matlhbogh SuvwI' je  Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.

This sentence is grammatically correct, but the first half doesn't carry the
right meaning.

"Warriors which are brave, and warriors which are loyal ..."
The way it is structured could mean "Warriors which are brave (whether
they're loyal or not), and warriors which are loyal (whether they're brave
or not) ..."  I believe the song wants to say "Warriors that are both brave
and loyal ..."; which is why he tried to connect the two relative clauses to
the same noun (SuvwI').

Even with all this, my response about OVS still holds true.  I didn't say
another about other rules of grammar.

DloraH

Back to archive top level