tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 06 00:29:24 2001

Re: Modified Adverbials

ja' peHruS:
>While we have seen several (but not all) adverbials taking the VERB suffix
>{-Ha'},...

SIbI' yImev.  wot neH tlhejlaH wot mojaq.  Or do you think that we've seen
verbs taking the noun suffix {-ba'}, or nouns taking the verb suffix {-lI'}?

>...At the qep'a' SochDIch I asked
>MO about some.  Most were approved.  I really liked {jaSHa'}, but MO
>disallowed that particular one.

chay'?  De'vam vISovpu'be'.  Oddly, *you* are the only person I've ever
noticed using it, and that was definitely *after* qep'a' SochDIch.  It
would have been nice for you to let us know at the time that {jaSHa'} is
invalid.  I was aware of {vajHa'} being "balked at"; perhaps that's what
you're thinking of?  I hope you don't take this too badly, but given your
history of misremembering facts-qoq and events-qoq, I'm not prone to accept
as gospel what you claim Marc Okrand said.

>Would it mean anything to say {nomchu'}, {tughbej}?

Dapna' Dachupbej.  Type 6 verb suffixes are supposed to denote the
speaker's certainty of an action, but {nom} and {tugh} aren't actions.  Oh,
sure, as wordplay their intent is reasonably clear, but as real words?
naDnIS Okrand vIlajpa'.

>I'd guess that's
>stretching the language in ways it has never gone, and is not advisable.

The term "stretch" here is an understatement.

>What about {naDevDaj}?  {voghmaj}?  {Datchaj}?  Probably senseless drivel.
>The basic semi-adverbials are nouns,...

nuqjatlh?  "basic semi-adverbials"??  Senseless drivel indeed.  yIQIj.

>but that may not mean they can take the
>usual noun suffixes, right?

The only relevant restriction on what suffixes they can take is that these
three nouns never get {-Daq}.  {naDevDaj} might need some rather odd
context in order to be useful, but it's not automatically nonsense.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level