tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 02 10:36:17 2001

RE: Enterprise

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Sean Healy wrote:
> I have been wanting to study an artifical language for a while.  I briefly
> considered Tolkien's languages, and even went so far as to download a course
> on Esperanto, then remembered having run across the KLI a few years ago.
[...]
> I decided to go with Klingon.

One thing I might say about your choice is that often times artificial
languages often try to remove linguistic irregularities to make them
easier to learn, whereas with Klingon, Okrand threw in a few on purpose
to give it flavor (and make it seem more real I imagine), and got stuck
with a few things from demands placed on him by the studio(s) ("to be").

Mind you, Esperanto has been around long enough that there may be some
irregularities out there now, but it wouldn't be bad to give that a look
too.  (I never got fluent, but passed the postal course years ago; sadly
I bogged down on the Klingon course and haven't gotten back to it).
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||