tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 02 09:58:03 2001

RE: Enterprise

> First, a quick question:  Is there any place on the web that has Klingon and
> English texts side by side for comparison, a la _The Klingon Way_?  I think
> that would help me get a better feel for how it's used, especially how to
> recast an English sentence to make it easier to say in Klingon.

I'm sure there are some websites out there; I'm sure other members of this list
will offer some sites.  My site is in klingon only.
You mentioned -The Klingon Way- and below you mention -Hamlet-.  You should
definitely get Hamlet, but Hamlet is Shakespear, probably not the best way
to "learn" klingon.  There is another klingon book out there -ghIlghameS-; the
oldest story on earth, Gilgamesh, translated to klingon, with matching english
on the facing page (like Hamlet).  OK, I have to promote ghIlghameS, after all,
I'm the one that did it.  :)

> Unfortunately, I don't have TKD yet - as I said, I only started studying the
> language Saturday, although yesterday (Monday), I went down to my local
> library to see what they had.  They only had KGT and _The Klingon Way_,
> neither of which explicitly discusses grammar. Hopefully,
> I'll be able to get my hands on TKD by the end of the month.

KGT is certainly useful with its extra word list and cultural backgrounds; but
you are correct, for grammar you need TKD.
All of these books are available at the KLI's merchant page.

> Does anyone know how KLI's prices compare to bookstore
> prices on those items?

I believe the prices are the same, but getting them through the KLI helps the
KLI, a non-profit organization.
There are others on the list that know more about this than I.

> I hope a discussion of Klingon's merits versus other artificial languages
> isn't outside the bounds of the use of English on this list.  I mean, it's
> not grammar or vocabulary, but it is about the Klingon language.

You are a newbie trying to find your way.  We'll dip you in hot wax the next
time.

> >...And as far as we know, there is not a word >[Sangqar], so it is safe to
> >use as a name. Read the FAQ.  It has a section about names.
>
> I read the FAQ before I even signed up for the list, and the part about
> Okrand making the word mean something you don't like kind of worried me,
> hence I wanted to make sure that name wasn't already a word.

True, Okrand could skew many of us, but not me.  My name can't be a proper
klingon word because you can't have D and l together like I do.  We're not
worried about names following rules.
For now you'll just have to take that chance, after all... [Doq'a' SuvwI'?
ghobe', SuD!] (a klingon joke you'll learn).
And you could always change your name.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level