tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 02 10:37:58 2001

Two languages, three languages (was: Re: Enterprise)

Sean:
> First, a quick question:  Is there any place on the web that has Klingon
> and English texts side by side for comparison, a la _The Klingon Way_?  I
> think that would help me get a better feel for how it's used, especially
> how to recast an English sentence to make it easier to say in Klingon.

Some people post bilingually, with more or less strict parallelism, like
the text you quoted:

If you insist on side-by-side,         Dop Dop je DaneHqu'chugh,
there's a program called ``paro''      ghunlu'ta'.  *paro* 'oH pongDaj'e'
that can do that for you in e-mail.    'ej jabbI'IDvaD Qap.  jabbI'IDvam
Like this.                             rur.

The word means ``pair'' in             *Esperanto* Hol mu' 'oH mu'vam'e'.
Esperanto...                           *cha'* *cha' Doch* joq 'oH.

> Esperanto, which has an annual congress, but no centralized publications,

Heh, don't knock Esperanto, after a century of use it's a much more mature
language... It's also a lot kinder on the mouth.

Pri Esperanto ne parolu malbonon, post centjaro da uzo, ghi estas la multe
pli plenaghuma lingvo... Ghi ankau la bushon multe malpli dolorigemas.

*Esperanto* [tulwI'] Hol yInaDHa'Qo'! vatlh DIS lo'lu'pu' vaj ta'ta'
nentayDaj. puS je nuj 'oy'.

Saying things three times is a pain.

Ghenas min trifoje chion diri.

wejlogh Hoch vIjatlhnIS 'e' munuQ.