tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 27 11:37:07 2001

Re: Klingon translation interest

Jiri wrote:
: How can sentence as object be used with verbs of being? Is there some
: standard way of handling that, or does one simply have to keep recasting
: until it goes away?

I'm not sure I understand you.  If by "verb of being" you mean a copula or a
variant of "to be":

  DIvI' Duy ghaH wo'rIv'e' 'e' vIHar.
  I believe that Worf is a Federation agent.

  DujlIjDaq ghaHtaH wo'rIv'e' 'e' vIHar.
  I believe that Worf is aboard your ship.

If you mean a "quality" or "stative verb":

  reH yuD romuluSnganpu' 'e' vIHar.
  I believe that Romulans are always dishonest.

If you mean an existential phrase like "there is" or "there are":

  qarDaSngan tengchaHDaq romuluSngan ghoqwI' tu'lu' 'e' vIHar.
  I believe there's a Romulan spy on the Cardassian space station.

:> :hacker ethic: n. 1. The belief that information-sharing is a powerful
:>   positive good,
:> :*hacker* ghob: (n) 1. HochvaD De' nob 'e' QaQqu'ghachna' 'e' Har
:>   *hacker*.
:
: Of course, on second thoughts, one of the sentences no verb.

... and you have reversed subject and object.  ("Information-sharing" is the
subject of the imbedded SAO.)  Try this:

  HochvaD QaQqu'ghachna' 'oH De' nob'e' 'e' Har *hacker*.

  A hacker believes that an information-gift to everyone is a
   powerful, positive good.
  A hacker believes that an information-gift is a powerful,
   positive good for everyone.

I rather like the ambiguity WRT {HochvaD} - surely hackers who subscribe to the
"hacker ethic" believe both meanings!  But you're right:  this is still a bit
clumsy as a translation, and there is no Klingon word for "share" (!).  It's
probably best to completely recast the sentence.  E.g.:

  HochvaD De' nobchugh quv(chu') ghaH 'e' Har *hacker*.
  A hacker believes that if s/he gives information to everyone,
   s/he is (perfectly) honorable.

  HochvaD De' nobnIS (ghaH) 'e' Har *hacker*.
  A hacker believes that s/he must give information to everyone.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level