tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 16 14:14:29 2001

Re: To greet or not to greet...

ja' Francis Moisan:
>When you greet people, is it better to say qavan (or Savan), nuqneH
>or absolutely nothing at all?

ghunchu'wI':
: If you're the one initiating the encounter, the only information
: communicated by a word like "hello" is that you follow a certain social
: protocol.  In Klingon culture, the preferred protocol when "greeting"
: someone is to state your business.
:
: If someone comes up to you and doesn't quickly make his intentions known,
: the Klingon word {nuqneH} is appropriate.

If you don't have the "Power Klingon" audiotape or CD, here's a transcription
of the first part of the shopping scene at the very beginning ot the tape,
which is a good illustration of what ghunchu'wI' and others have said.

In this first version of the scene, the Terran visitor displays poor Klingon
etiquette, annoys then eventually insults the Klingon merchant, and eventually
dies in an exchange of phaser fire.  Note that the Terran's first mistake was
to attempt a pleasant greeting in response to the Klingon's business-like
enquiry of {nuqneH}.  (N.B. No English translation was provided on the tape for
this version.):

[Terran enters a Klingon shop]

Klingon: nuqneH?
          [What do you want?]
Terran:  'IH jaj, qar'a'?  maja'chuqjaj?
          [Beautiful day, isn't it?  May we talk?]
Klingon: jISaHbe'.
          [I don't care.]
Terran:  bISaHbe'?!  qatlh bIjatlh?
          [You don't care?!  Why do you say that?]
         chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.
          [Maybe I want to buy something from you.]
Klingon: tugh!  SSS... bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh!
          [Hurry up!  SSS...  Buy or die!]
         quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan!
          [You have insulted my honor, Terran!]

In the second version, the Terran displays a good knowledge of proper Klingon
etiquette, successfully completes his transaction, and gets complimented to
boot.  Note that instead of attempting a greeting, the Terran gets right to the
point and states his business, not wasting the Klingon merchant's time:

[Terran enters a Klingon shop]

Klingon: nuqneH?
          What do you want?
Terran:  cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej.
          I definitely want to buy dilithium crystals.
Klingon: jIyaj.  HItlhej!
          I understand. Come with me!
         naDev bIHtaH.  cha'SaD DeQ.  tugh!
          Here they are. 2000 credits. Hurry up!
         bIDIlbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
          Pay or die!
Terran:  bIjatlh 'e' yImev!  vIneHbej.
          Shut up! I DEFINITELY want them.
         ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh ghIchlIj qanob.
          "If you shine my nose, I will give you your nose."
Klingon: batlh malja' DaHuq.
          You transact business honorably.

When it comes to Klingon etiquette, forewarned is fore-armed.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level