tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 16 10:39:11 2001

RE: Klingon WOTD: rap (v)

Holtej wrote:
: > Klingon word:   rap
: > Part of Speech: verb
: > Definition:     same, to be the same as
:
: It was just pointed out to me that TKD defines this "be the same", not "be
: the same as".  Adding that extra "as" on the end implies that the verb is
: transitive, which is an unfounded assumption.
:
: I did a cursory search through my canon collection and didn't see any
: examples of {rap}.  I'm sure Voragh has a more thorough set than I do
: though.

Thanks for the compliment, but I know of no examples of {rap} used in canon.

I assume {rap} works the same as {nIb} "be identical", {pIm} "be different" and
{Sar} "be varied, be various".  Examples of these from canon:

  [{nIb} is not attested in canon]

  pImlaw' romuluSngan be' porgh
  I've heard Romulan women are different. (MO's ST5 notes)

  DaH may' bom pIm Dabom
  Now you sing a different battle song.
  (idiom: "Well, that's another matter altogether.") KGT

  motlh pIm 'ejyo' Dujmey
  Unlike most Starfleet vessels...
  [lit. "Starfleet vessels are usually different"] SP3

  qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
    nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
  this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
    menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level