tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 15 10:58:14 2001

I had an idea, I don't know how...

The other night I was trying to fall asleep and, as often happens, I started
translating random phrases I had said or heard during the day. Then I came
to one that stumped me. I had said to someone, "My computer crashed today, I
don't know why...". The first part was easy:

DaHjaj mevpu' De'wI'wIj... (I used mev cause I couldn't think of anything
better at the time)

Then I tried to translate "I don't know why." The first thing that came to
mind was:

qatlh jISovbe'

But, then I realized that won't work, as it means "Why don't I know?" So I
pondered for a while, throwing thinks around in my mind, but I always ended
up with "qatlh jISovbe'"

So, I went back to the English, "I don't know why." What does this mean?
Well, to me, I worked out, it means that I am answering the question why?
before it is asked... and then it clicked and I said it out loud, "qatlh?
jISovbe'" and nearly woke up the person beside me.

I then went through a bunch of ways in my mind to explain this to someone,
which basically went something like this:

DeghwI':mevpu' Duj
HoD: qatlh?
DeghwI': jISovbe'

So, if the DeghwI' knew the HoD would ask why, he could just have said,
"mevpu' Duj. qatlh? jISovbe'" which would mean "The ship has stopped. I
don't know why."

I'd say this would work for any similar phrases, I don't know how, I don't
know where, I don't know when etc

I didn't know if anyone else had talked about this anywhere before, but I
just came to me, so I thought I would post it here, and see if anyone else
has any thoughts on this.

Qapla'

qurgh

Back to archive top level