tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 15 12:25:33 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

qurgh wrote:
: I had said to someone, "My computer crashed today, I
: don't know why...". The first part was easy:
:
: DaHjaj mevpu' De'wI'wIj... (I used mev cause I couldn't think of
: anything better at the time)

Perhaps, "suddenly stopped" works better for "crashed":

  DaHjaj pay' mev De'wI'wIj.

{mev} "stop, cease" is more often used with another verb:

  DaHjaj Qap 'e' (pay') mev De'wI'wIj.
  Today my computer (suddenly) stopped functioning.

But if you're going to say that, it's simpler to use *{QapHa'} "malfunction".
Another verb might be {Qop} "be worn out".  The Type 3 suffix {-choH} "change
in state" is ideal here:

  DaHjaj pay' QapHa'choH De'wI'wIj.
  Today my computer suddenly malfunctioned.
  Today my computer suddenly began malfunctioning.

  DaHjaj pay' QopchoH De'wI'wIj.
  Today my computer suddenly wore out.

: Then I tried to translate "I don't know why." The first thing that
: came to mind was:
:
: qatlh jISovbe'

Break it up into two thoughts and use punctuation:

  DaHjaj pay' QopchoH De'wI'wIj.  qatlh?  jISovbe'.
  Today my computer crashed.  Why?  I don't know.

or

  qatlh DaHjaj pay' QopchoH De'wI'wIj?  jISovbe'.
  Why did my computer crash today?  I don't know.

or a bit fancier:

  <<qatlh>> vISovbe'.
  I don't know the "why".

Another option:

  meq vISovbe'.
  I don't know the reason.

This probably isn't right, though.  What we really want is "reason, cause".
{meq} "reason" is also glossed "motive" in KGT, so using {meq} may imply that
your computer is sentient and consciously chose to crash.  (NB: Sentient
computers are fairly common in Trek!)  In KGT we are told that a slang
equivalent to {meq} is {mo'} "motive, motivation, grounds, reason, rationale"
which further supports this.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons